The Eightfold Path. . .
The Eightfold Path can be divided into three categories:
- Wisdom (right view/understanding, right intention).
- Ethical conduct (right speech, right action, right livelihood).
- Mental cultivation (right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration).
- Right View/ understanding – Wisdom
- Right Intention/ thought- Wisdom
- Right Speech – Ethical Conduct
- Right Action- Ethical Conduct
- Right Livelihood- Ethical Conduct
- Right Effort – Mental Cultivation
- Right Mindfulness- Mental Cultivation
- Right Concentration- Mental Cultivation
- The Eightfold Path is a practical and systematic way out of ignorance, eliminating dukkha from our minds and our lifestyle through mindful thoughts and actions. It is presented as a whole system, but the three paths associated with the area of mental cultivation are particularly relevant to the happiness that we can find in equanimity, or peace of mind.
Peace and Love, Jim